By: Dennis Pierce
Scripture Reading: 2 Timothy 3:16-17
1. Many “intellectuals” in our society ridicule anyone who believes in the Bible. God, Jesus, Moses, etc. are all under attack.
2. Presidential candidates who exhibit any degree of commitment to faith in the Bible are scorned.
3. Yet, most Americans are respectful toward the Bible and toward those who believe it.
4. There is a vast difference between being respectful and being submissive to biblical authority.
I. All scripture is inspired by God. 2 Timothy 3:16
A. All means all.
B. Inspired means “God-breathed”. 2 Peter 1:20-21
C. God has revealed himself by natural and by special revelation. Romans 1:19-20; Psalms 19:1; Exodus 3:2; Hebrews 1:2-3
1. The only true and reliable source for Christianity is the Bible. James 1:21; 2 Timothy 4:2
II. Scripture is profitable…
A. …for doctrine.
B. …for reproof.
C. …for correction.
D. …for instruction in righteousness.
III. Scripture is productive.
A. It will make the man of God complete.
B. It will thoroughly furnish the man of God.
Our culture is changing. It used to be said to children, “respect your elders”. Now it is more along the lines if anyone, besides mom or dad, tells a child what to do, they can tell them they are not the boss or tell them dad will sue them.
The Bible is God’s authority for telling us what to do.
“The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day.” John 12:48 (ESV)